View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Non Believers Predominate Heaven? Just Maybe.

[ QUOTE ]
I am on record as saying that the existence of punishment for crimes is only necessary to stop very bad people from committing them. And I do mean very bad. Worse than the criminals themselves. Pure common sense. Any man who refrains from raping a woman because he doesn't want to spend ten years in jail, is no better and probably worse, than an actual rapist. Any person who would rob a bank if they were sure they could get away with it, but doesn't because they aren't, is at least as bad a person as an actual bank robber. The only difference between them is that the bank robber is crazy or less worried about jail. Their disregard for others is totally equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to mention another point in my first reply...

I disagree that the hypothetical person who refrains from, say raping, only due to fear of going to jail, is "worse" than an actual rapist.

The reason is as follows. Both the actual rapist and the potential rapist share the irrational (and evil) desire to rape. However, the potential rapist is more rational in one aspect: he at least recognizes and desires to avoid the negative consequences that raping someone would bring to him. This not only makes him less dangerous to others, but slightly morally superior to the actual rapist.