View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: yes another TAX question....

Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys even read a post before you respond with a one liner trying to sound as smart and witty as you can. Do you put any thought into it before you respond?

Like I said before, I WANT TO PAY MY FAIR SHARE. But lets say I dont have all the proper reocrds for the full year. if the IRS wants to subpeopna my Neteller reocrds, more power to them. They will have access to the same records that Im trying to use to estimate my taxes. They dont have access to poker site records and neither do I.

Lets give an example

Lets say I only played 5 days out of the year just to make this simple.

Day 1...I won $1000
Day 2....I lost $1000
Day 3...I won $2000
Day 4...I won $1000
Day 5...I lost $500

Day 6 I withdraw...$1500 to Neteller and then to my bank.

What do you think the IRS will say when I report $1500 in winnings? Remember that I dont have the records of the 5 playing days, so Im not purposly lying. Im only listing those figures because thats what I would know If kept full records.

My actual winnings are $4000 and losses are $1500 for a Net of $2500.

The correct way to report would be to report $4k in winnings and to write off $1500 as losses. I know all of that. But since I dont have these records, I only know that I took out $1500 of the poker site. If the IRS audits me and subpeonas Neteller records, they will see that I withdrew $1500 which is what I reported. Make sense?

Multiply this times about 350 playing days that I have no records for and you see what Im talking about.

The IRS can find out all about my Neteller withdrawals and deposits and thats perfectly fine with me because Im not trying to hide anything

To take it one step further...let say I was pretty sure I was +$2500 total winnings so thats what I reported. I report $2500 in winnings and write nothing off as losses. I get audited for some non poker rleated reason and they check Neteller and see my $1500 withdrawal. They see I reported $2500 in winnings and you think they will have a problem? Thats very unrealistic.