View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Close one - counting outs excercise :)

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Also I dont consider including my opponents names bad etiquette. If this is considered not proper I will hide them next time

[/ QUOTE ]

The point about that I am about to make I have made in the past in the high stakes no limit forum, and lots of posters disagreed with me. But I will repeat them here.

I believe it is wrong to mention specific screen names either in a hand history or just in describing a situation for two reasons. The first is that I think it is disrespectful of players, who granted are mostly anonymous on the internet sites, but who should still be given some respect and not have their play dissected by name.

The second reason is that I believe it is highly detrimental to us. Such practices run the risk of cluing in the fish on their bad play if they happen to visit here only occasionally, and of cluing in good players about how other good players view and play against them. Both of these situations are -EV IMO.

The typical response in the nl forum was that giving the name of certain player enables posters to know immediately how they play if they themselves play at the same level. But I think that any good player should just as easily be able to describe the play of another regular opponent without using his name to do so.

Of course the rest of you can do what you like, but those are the reasons I occasionally comment on posts with unconverted hand histories or using a player's screen name.