View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Ace when you have major KICKER issues

First, I hope that's 28 hands on villian, because if its a 28AF, you've probably got something like 30 hands on him total, which is pretty much worthless.

In any case, villian is likely to see this as a good flop to continue on, so you can count on him betting almost regardless of holding. Any ace will raise if you lead, as will some queens. Low PPs may fold. This is why I don't like leading at the flop: better hands will always, always pop you, some worse hands may get away dirt cheap, and queens may check behind the turn when they may have tried again.

If you just c/c the flop, aces will bet again, as will some queens some of the time. If you lead again here, you will often get raised by a better hand and worse hands will almost always fold, with the exception of some queens. The type of queens to raise the flop will probably call a bet, though, unless it was specifically a flop raise for free river look. So you always put two in when behind, sometimes get one bet when he is behind, and often fold out a worse hand that may have tried again. So c/c looks good here.

On the river, if you lead you may get raised again. Many better aces will not raise, especially with the protection of the flush. No worse hands will raise you, typically. If you check, aces will bet, a couple queens may bet, and worse hands will almost always check through. So by leading you get called a good portion of the time, get raised when you are behind, and never get raised when you are ahead. If you check, better hands will bet and worse hands will check, usually. Something I've learned: don't take a line that lets your opponent play the river perfectly. Since you plan on putting a bet in anyways, and will almost never get bluff-raised, lead at the pot. Better aces and the flush will let you know you're beaten without seeing showdown, some of those better aces won't raise in any case, and you collect crying calls from some hands some of the time. Most importantly, you don't let your opponents easily play perfect poker, and you don't have to worry about overcalling. FWIW, I'd probably fold the river if villian bet and SB called.