View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Backup Facility For Windows XP Home Edition?

[ QUOTE ]
Can't tell you about getting XP, but you can always try a program like Norton's Ghost. There are a couple utilities out there that allow you to make an image of the physical state of the hard drive and restore later. I've had terrible luck with pretty much all forms of state backup (as opposed to just media with files), but some of my friends swear by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norton Ghost combined with two hard drive broken into partitions is the way to go. Check out the Radified Guide for some hints.

On my first HD I have one partition for WinXP&Programs, another for Data (minus music and Pokertracker Databases, and one for Pokertracker Databases (easy to defrag in its own partition). On my other drive I have partions for Music, Ghost backups of WinXP&Programs, and a couple minor ones (such as a dedicated download partition and one for my swap file). I back up data to external drives, but if you don't have a lot of data you can back it up to a partition on the second HD.

The "Radified" method of using Ghost is to do it from DOS, since in the case of a total disk crash you aren't going to be able to get to Windows based backup tools. Ghost restores every setting and gets you back to where you where.

~ Rick