View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Home Poker Tournament that I cannot beat...

OK dude, you're beating the party $10 STT handily but now you can't win against the local fish. You can play 10 STT's in a day easily but it would take you 2.5 months to do this home game 10 times. You may just be in a downswing for it. However, I can tell you my experience with the same problem.

1) I play too agressively. These people don't know how to lay down mid pair. Don't try to make them.

2) I don't trust my reads. They are very easy to read but I second guess myself far too often.

3) I don't bet my modest hands for value often enough. If I could just throw out another 3BB bet on the river more I could make more money. It's difficult to do this after they get that weird two pair on me a couple times.

4) I take my opponents for granted. This is the big leak in my game. These people wouldn't know a pot odd if it hit them on the head so I play like I'm playing against children. This is a huge mistake and I have nearly eliminated this particular problem from my game.

Your tournament sounds like a gold mine, LPP all over the place and a nice slow blind structure. As a STT player you know it's hard to win every time so I would suggest trying to flatten the prize structure some (homepokertourney.com). I assume the prize pool is pretty damn big because of rebuys. Since it's unlimited rebuy for 3 hours you should play a little crazy and try to double or triple up during that time. I wouldn't want to go to hour 4 with less than 400 chips.

After the rebuys you tighten up like a nun's fanny unless everyone else has tightened up in which case you steal as many pots as possible. As people start to get shortstacked/knocked out you can wake up and start really playing poker ala the STT forum. You'd better be playing some poker by the time you have 20BB and I'm sure you know about the 10BB rule. When you make it to the last blind limit then you're golden... just be patient and play your game. You will never reach your late game for STT play, the blinds are just too low to do that stuff.

edit: welcome to the forum, watch out for the zoo [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]