View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Two interesting PF decisions in the same hand with AK

[ QUOTE ]
the first cold call is fine. you don't really want to get a-i preflop for 65x bb's with utg.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to get all-in. Raise to 2500-3000.

The problem with the smooth call is that you create a situation in which players in LP may come over the top with marginal holdings. The initial push could easily be a steal of sorts (and a pretty good play if he's got any kind of hand), and it is possible because we've done nothing to force him to define his hand. Right now he's thinking "I've got t6000, there's a ton of money in the pot, and other than the original raiser, nobody's shown any strength. I'm pushing my 99." Re-raise, and it will keep you out of this situation. If he pushes over the top of a re-raise, and then THAT bet is called, you have a better idea where you stand.

Another reason I don't like the smooth call is that with one other player already calling, you're quite possibly looking at even more players coming along thanks to pot odds. While it allows you to get away from a missed flop more cheaply, you essentially need to hit two-pair or beter to bet with much confidence. If the flop comes Axx, and there is a lot of action in front, how happy are you?

And another poster said that folding here is okay, since you've only invested t800. No, no, no. It doesn't matter if you, the button, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster put those chips in the pot. Do you see why?

That said, I'm beginning to see the logic behind folding. I do smell a lot of dead outs in the folded hands. But, boy would I be unhappy to see 99 and JJ.