View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 12:43 AM

Default O/8 hand: Fear the higher boat?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.50 BB, between Hero and BB.
Results:
BB has 5s Jh 3d 6c (High: full house, jacks full of sixes).
Hero has 2s 4s Jc 3h (High: full house, jacks full of twos).
Outcome: BB wins 16.50 BB.

Here's my thinking:
I bet my set on the flop since I was in good position and thought I could chase out any ragged flush draws.

When BB bet on the turn, I figured him for a full house, but possibly with a pair of 6's (table is pretty loose...am I wrong to think he would have bet the flop himself with a set of jacks?)...therefore with my 10 outs to make either jacks full or quads I felt I was OK to call.

On the river, I obviously knew I was in trouble after he 3-bet me, but there was too much $$$ in the pot not to make the crying call. I think the raise on the river might have been my dumbest move...how careful should I be when I hold 3rd-nut boat like this?

Of course the flip side of this is that with the pair and the flush draw on the board, I may have no business betting the flop at all. Any thoughts? I'm still learning the ropes at O8 so if my play here was tremendously stupid, feel free to tell me. I can take it. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]