View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Addiction is a disease?

Craig~

I didn't read any of the other posts so I appologize if anyone has covered any of what I say.

Anyway, I am majoring in Neuroscience (basically the science of brain, nervous system, and pscyhology) and know quite a bit about addiction.

So onto to the good stuff...

Essentially addiction results from a reward pathway in a certain part of the brain (at least most addictions...especially drug). Basically when you perform a behavior (eating, sex, GAMBLING, etc), take a substance (again food, drugs, etc), if affects the amount of chemicals (called neurotransmitters) which result in increased stimulation of what has been deemed the "reward pathway" in the brain. Since this is pleasurable for a person they behavior that causes becomes addictive. (For example lab rats will endure intense pain to recieve drugs of addiction liek cocaine because the reward is so great).

From a more non-science background addiction is formed through reinforcement or conditioning. A certain behavior results in a good feeling so it becomes addicting. Gambling is a particularly strong reinforcer because the reward (i.e winning money, etc) can not be predicted. Thus, the person feels compelled to play until they get the feeling (winning) again, and afterwards want to feel it so bad that they continue.

As far as addiction as a disease, it's looked at a disease because it results from chemical changes in the brain, and because it is something that has to be "cured". It's hard to quite anything you are "addictied" to cold turkey. The more that is understood about the chemical/biological mechansims of addiction that more it is looked at as a "disease" rather than a mental weakness because it is soemthing that in a way has to be cured. Also, some people are more succeptible to addiction (addictive personalities).

Sorry is this doesn't make sense...PM if you want more info, and/or want me to point you in the right direction of more information.