View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: get the hell out of my pot

[ QUOTE ]
At any rate, since I like to raise pairs a lot first in, and will often raise some other hands for deception value first in, it seems like I am faced either with having to raise weaker hands more (in terms of BB), or letting people to the flop cheeply with my big pairs. I choose the latter, is this something I should be rethinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to raise my big pairs bigger than normal if I can. I get away with this by always raising huge from the blinds or the button, maybe the CO if there are limpers in (or raises). If I raise from the blinds, I usually bet 1.5 to 2x the current pot either w/ high pocket pairs or garbage. From the button, I'll put in a 1x - 1.5x pot raise (sometimes more) w/ high pockets, AK, and mid suited connectors some percentage of the time. It helps if there are limpers there.

From other positions, I like to limp-reraise or put in a standard raise. If there's limpers, then I make it more. My open raise is usually consistent though, which I will do with many hands - or at most vary by 1-2 BB.

So I am guilty of in general leaking some info about my hand preflop by raising bigger w/ pocket pairs. I'll let you in on a secret - I still get plenty of action at 5-10. It also generally matters who's in the pot w/ you as well.