View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: To libertarians / Rand clones

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This means nothing unless people are producing something worthwhile. Again, the ditch digging analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tanks, bombs, and planes were very worthwile in 1941 when three countries decided to declare war on us.

[/ QUOTE ]
‘Worthwhile’ was a bad word. I should have said ‘leads to prosperity’ or something of that nature.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which ones (industries) were created by the war?

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer industry, for one. The airline industry would be another. Was this a serious question?

[/ QUOTE ]
So it is your assertion that these would not have been created in the absence of war?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again, the money had to come from somewhere. In this case it was the taxpayers wallets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half came from taxes, half came from bonds. How did this comment in any way address inflation which you quoted?

[/ QUOTE ]
There are three ways that the government can pay for things: taxes, new money (inflation), and bonds. Although inflation wasn’t high, the government was forced to raise taxes in order to get the necessary revenue. The other way they did this (as you stated) was through bonds. How do you suppose the government pays back this loaned money? This is done by passing it on to future taxpayers, or by printing new money. Both are bad.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
New and increased technological innovations:
Which ones?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, are you serious? How about the the microwave, jet engine, radio communication, underwater communication, sonar, radar, ultrasonic waves and electromagnetic wave theory, submarines, improved antibiotics (penicillin), just to name a few off of the top of my head

I seriously have to stop reading your post after I just read that question. I might as well be explaining World War Two to a child.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, you believe that these would not have been developed (aside from submarines and the like) in the absence of war? I was merely asking that in anticipation of this particular response so I could make this point. In a market economy, developments will be made based on what people demand. Any such innovations which were developed during war time would have been developed outside of war time, should they have been demanded.

You have still failed to address the simple fact that it can be logically deduced as to why war is bad for the economy. As Borodog stated:
[ QUOTE ]
I've provided you with specific logical explanations for how war spending can ONLY either come from funds that are then not spent elsewhere (broken window fallacy) or from printing money , which cannot increase the wealth of the country and can only redistribute wealth from the populace to, for example, arms manufacturers, while merely displacing production from consumer goods to military "goods." You have not refuted ANY of these points.

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep relying on aggregates to make your point. Numbers mean nothing if you don't interpret them. Do you believe that WWII was special, in that by creating things to be destroyed during this particular period, people were magically better off afterward?