View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: When do you look at your cards. And Why?

In my experience, I feel it is ok to wait to look at low limits, provided you are not going to slow the game down too much.

It is a beneficial strategy to look at others while they peek at their cards, and you can even look at the people behind you at this time as well.

My caveat is that one thing at low limit you do not want to do is give the impression that you are a thinking player. Anything that might make a fishy opponent play differently against you is to be avoided. This means that you should not take a long time to act preflop. So.. If you are capable of knowing your position, the number of players limped/raised/called so far, and any preflop tells you have observed, and then putting this all together to quickly decided what you will do once you identify your cards - then by all means wait to look. Its not as hard as it sounds.. .most hands you already know what you should do in every situation. But if there are a great deal of hands that have you need some time to consider your action, then it may be better to look as you receieve your cards.

One alternative is to look once the action is close (~2 players) to you, but not while receieving your cards, so that you can still observe other players picking up their cards after the deal. This is of course provided that you are in a late enough position.

As far as giving off preflop tells yourself... practice.
Matt Damon practiced with blank cards while making rounders to make sure he didnt piss himself with excitement when he picked up that A9.