View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: absolute morality - relative morality = 0 ?

[ QUOTE ]
You know what, chez? I'd give you a free pass in a second (other than calling God no good - if God then we missed something and He is good still). I don't know what God can say to your "letter". That is the BIG question so far as I am concerned. Folk like you (and me really). He gives us intellect and free will.

The difference between you and me is this: my choice (God) comes from my background and my studies. I say yes. Yours (to love they neighbor) comes from your "moral sense".

I think the answer lies therein - my education/and acceptance of God's Word and your "moral sense" that is either innate and/or nurtured. If Jesus is God then the answer is in black and white. One just has to figure it out viz a viz our intellect and today's science and God‘s Word (the Bible). If He is not God, then your moral sense might be something similar and we need to explore that avenue as much as I study the Bible. (Basically, for me - I see no need to reinvent the wheel. I choose Christianity.) If you have ideas where to go from here, let's roll. But, to not explore either is the ultimate "sin" as far I am concerned.

I think the answer must be something like this if Christianity is true: One cannot truly love ones neighbor without too loving God. The reason I say this is because of my belief in Christianity. That He said these two thing that we must do. If/when I figure out why both rather than just one like you suggest, I’ll let you in on the secret (lol). (I do think it is easier to love one’s neighbor when one love’s God, but not being atheist I have no objectivity here - so can‘t say for sure.)

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, hopefully any god agrees with you. I've never understood why anyone should think it would be different.

BTW I didn't call god no good, I said in my eyes if he ... then he is not good and that he gave me the eyes. Thus he is responsible for me seeing him as bad under those circumstances.

Chezlaw's wager follows. Similar to Pascal's except its not to believe in god, its to behave in accordance with what you believe to be right.

chez