View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: absolute morality - relative morality = 0 ?

Chez, I am not sure this post belongs here. (I had a few Cabernet’s this eve at dinner with a some friends - two friends’ bdays and mine next week.) I know you will give me some lea way if I just post it here.

Here’s the bottom line, chez. And I am only playing the “devils advocate” here. Honestly, if God, I have no idea what He really wants of us for sure - other than to love Him and our neighbor. You seem to agree to the love thy neighbor part. What happens if love God is part of the deal (all or nothing) I don’t know for sure.

All I say is this - then if the love God was part of it (i.e. believe in Him) and you don’t, then don’t try to reason with Him when (if) the time comes with this argument - Hey, God I reasoned that your rules weren’t proven. I saw no “evidence” give me a break. Don’t say to Him, I did half of what you asked (even though it wasn’t because it was You who said to, rather my feelings told me so.)

Now, He might say, “chez, you are cool, I like how you behaved - get out of jail free.” All I am saying is if He says “Wrong.” Don’t say you didn’t know the rules. You did and chose to decide otherwise.

I am not unlike you chez. I buy the first part - love thy neighbor. It is the second part that I still have to figure out. I am sure it is correct. I just don’t know why it is so important yet. When I do , then I take the leap. I think it might have something to do with actually living the first part. I think(it might be) when we truly love our neighbor then second part (love God) becomes self evident.