View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: How smart are you?

[ QUOTE ]
I am just curious to see the what kind of intelligence winning poker players have

[/ QUOTE ]
I find this of some interest as well, but unfotunately none of the responses in this thread can help formulate an answer to your question.

In order to see if there was some correlation between intelligence and being a winning player, you would need to know people's win rate (as a start), not just the limit they play at.

At best, the responses in this thread could allow you to make a statement correlating a person't intelligence to the level they play at.

Even then your results could easily be inaccurate because you would need to know how long people have been playing (that is, whether they just started, are in the process of moving up, or consistently play at a certain level).

For example, let's say John Stuart Mill (who's IQ was believed to be off the charts) and a bunch of other comparable minds all started playing $0.02-$0.04 limit HE. Could you conclude that being a genius and playing the lowest limits available were correlated?

Another way to look at this is to take a poker player X, and follow their poker career. Let's say they have an IQ of 130, and they're an adult, so their IQ remains relatively constant throughout their poker career (this is a reasonable assumption). They start playing a certain limit, let's say $0.50-$1. Two years later they have successfully moved up to $5-$10. How could you make any statements that would accurately related their IQ and limit? If you believed that more intelligent people played higher limits, you would have to conclude that a player became more intelligent as they moved up (or that they moved up as they became more intelligent - so maybe you should ask everyone for their POKER intelligence).

And of course GregJ already made a really good point; basically that your survey has some selection bias.

Sorry for the rant - I really thought this could be interesting, and it still is to some extent. Although I didn't count, I think most people responded with SAT or ACT scores. If not, then GRE, or similar, scores were the most common (in any event, those were certainly the top two). I think that says a lot about the demographic we're looking at here (poker players are young - what a revelation).

In any event, I'll play. I have found this thread interesting.

I scored 145+ on two widely accepted IQ tests (which was the top delineation reported).

I am currently playing 1/2 and might be transitioning to 1/2 6 max in preparation for a higher limit.