View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Question

Great point Learned. I actually tried to work this in but found it pretty complicated, as you point out. Here are some thoughts I had:

- the players are probably reasonably tight (> 1 BB / hour win rate normally), and DS specifies that they won't collude (your type of "collusion" is a little different, granted), so there won't be either accidental schooling or preplanned schooling going on.

- most hands are well short of having the right odds to call. Pocket pairs for example are looking at 10.5:2 to call, so the extra induced calls have to contribute another 5 SB at least to break even. This is unlikely, especially when you consider the type of hand that might be induced to call, which, I think, is the suited connector. Now if you get action postflop with your set, they are drawing for flushes and straights to beat you, and it's almost impossible for many bets to go in on any street, as the KK is definitely shutting down.

So if you still can't call with pocket pairs, and ace high was already just break even, can this effect cause a hand like 98s to cold call behind you? I haven't done the math, but I suspect the answer is still no. If I'm right, calling light hoping to generate a schooling effect is proably just going to leave you high and dry playing KK heads up. Players will quickly be forced to abandon the strategy.

-Eric