View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Berating Weak Players At The Poker Table

Normally I don't say anything. A few months ago some guy made a horrendous call on the flop and spiked some sort of outlandish runner-runner draw and took down a fairly big pot. The player who lost at the showdown was still berating him five hands later. I asked the player doing the berating did he want the calls or didn't he? He stated that he did but his problem was that he was a much better player than the live one and he thought the live one had somehow challenged that notion. I didn't really want to get into it that deeply. I was hoping that the berater would see that these calls were what he wanted and he had to pay the price of the occasional suckout. However, his comment revealed how he was feeling and it basically was what I've stated in the past as to why the beraters do what they do. So I thought what the heck I'll discuss it more. I pointed out that there was no evidence the live one thought he was better than him; the live one hadn't gloated at all and in fact hadn't said anything in taking the pot (the live one is taking this all in btw); and that his motivation was simply that he wanted to gambool and have fun which was different than the his, the beraters motivation. It went along with what I've written before is that berater takes the beat personally. These players seem to be for the most part inexperienced and have probably read a book or two and tend to play much tighter than their opponents and thus believe they are much better players. I don't think I'll do this again (I wouldn't recommend what I did) but it was one confirmation of what I've thought. These guys need to get a lot more experience with suckouts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].