View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: A Note to \"WannaBe\" Pros

[ QUOTE ]
This business is HARD...Make sure that your plan to quit your dayjob & become a "poker pro" has a "Plan 'B'" in case Plan 'A' doesn't work....If your reaction to this advice is: "He's an old fool that doesn't know squat"; I hope you will ask the younger posters that know what they are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I agree with this. However, some small subset of hardheaded dreamers will ignore this advice, and a smaller subset of these people will become tomorrow's successful poker professionals.

I myself couldn't imagine playing poker for a living, but I can relate to pursuing a dream against the advice of almost everybody. I spent the majority of my young adulthood rock and ice climbing all over the country, instead of going to college and pursuing a career. I've since been pursuing a college degree part time (almost done!) while working full time, and it's been more difficult for sure than if I had attended college straight out of school. I still don't regret pursuing my dreams though, and I have lots of great experiences and memories of my younger days hanging it out there.