View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:03 PM

Default I\'m not calling enough (long, 55s, looking for insight)

I see people that I automatically label donks call all-ins with any ace, most kings, some queens, JT, any pair all the time. However, I usually need JJ+, AK to call pushes, which means I am routinely folding A9s, AJ, 66-TT, etc.(ITM I will call with good aces and smaller pairs, I am talking 4-7 handed here level 3 and above). I am fairly sure that the pushing aspect of my game is well honed, and my postflop and early level play is better than that of the great majority of my opponents from what I have observed.

Given that over the last 2000 55s, after starting on a 800 SnG 20% ROI heater with tons of firsts, my overall ROI is around 12% (still good) but my third places outweigh my second and firsts by a lot (I have more fifths and thirds than anything else). I'm fairly sure that I am neither too agressive or not aggressive enough, so I'm thinking that I may not be calling enough.

Some of my 3rds happen when a fish donks up a 7000 chip stack by sucking out 5x in a row and I just sit there ITM with 800 chips at level 5 and there's not much I can do. I notice that the majority of my games where I do not double up with a premium hand just have me busting with J8 vs KT when I push from the small blind. It is very rare that I manage to make 5-6 steals in a row to get a decent (2000) stack that will give me a good position on the bubble and make me able to shoot for first.

I doubt with my current style of play I will ever be a losing player at the 55s if they stay this way, but I am having some trouble at the 109s when I try them. It may be normal for winning players to have a sort of bell curve finish distribution with a high amount of 3-6 finishes and something like 12% firsts, 14% seconds, and 0-10% 7-10ths, but I thought it would be more profitable to find a way to get more firsts. Which brings me back to my original question: Am I just not calling enough, or should I look for other leaks?