View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Balancing poker, social life, and career goals (long but please re

You seem like a smart person who is doing a great deal more thinking about planning for the future than the large majority of people your age. This is a good thing.

When I was in college, I partied like a rock star. I loved it. Could I have a better head start on my career when I graduated? Yes. Could I have had more money saved? Yes. Yes.

However, did partying so much cause me to flunk out of school (as many of my friends did?) No. Was my career path impacted negatively in any way by partying and socializing? No.

So what we're really talking about here is balance. And moderation. It is key to peacefully existing in the world and within the confines of your own mind.

You certainly shouldn't completely forgoe the opportunity to party it up and enjoy yourself once in a while, but don't do it just because you feel "you have to" or that "you should". Do it when you feel like it. Don't if you don't feel like it. Simple as that. Of particular interest to me was your statement about how you don't feel very excited about the party scene as you did as a freshmen. This is 100% normal for a person who is preparing to depart college and enter the "real" world. It's a good sign.

Now please realize that once you leave school, all that is left in front of you is a life of work (barring full time grad school or something like that). Work can be fulfilling and enjoyable for some, but for most it is simply a means to earning a living and sustain a lifestyle. When I think back to college and the lack of pressure and responsibility I had then compared to now, in conjunction with the compelte indulgence of all the partying, concerts, girls, etc., it was certainly a great time of my life that I will never forget, nor will I be able to recapture. So keep that in mind as well.

In regards to social networks - you're also on to something. You will not likely be friends with everyone from college forever. I have a great many friends from that time in my life that I am still friends with now, but I didn't necessesarily go to school with them. If you are meant to stay friends with someone, you will, regardless of where you end up living. And if and when you do move, you will establish new connections simply by the nature of where you work, live, and the places you go in the off hours.

It's great to be prepared in life and your line of thinking is admirable. Being prepared for your career is great. Having a nice nut of money saved while not paying rent is very smart. But remember not to be too hard on yourself. Work will be waiting for you for the rest of your life as will poker. Everything in moderation.

Balance is the key.

Good luck.