View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Micro-Limits Heads Up League - Interest check

In keeping with the spirit of the college football such and such, me and Kurt decided ELO was a no go. The way we're going to do it is much simpler and is easily updatable. I'll explain

Everyone is input into a spreadsheet in EXCEL. Column A is your name, B is your wins, C is your losses, and D is your win percentage. Column E is where it gets fresh. Column E, for those of you who use excel, would look something like '=average(d3,d7,d6)' That would give you the average win percentages of the players in D3, D7, and D6. Your opponents. Then column F would be '=average(e3,e7,e6)' That gives you your opponent's opponent's win %. Those are then all averaged together with '=average(d1,d1,d1,d1,e1,e1,f1)', meaning your rating is based on 4 times your win %, 2 times your strength of schedule, and 1 times your opponent's strength of schedule.

It sounds ridiculous, but it is 1) incredibly easy to maintain, and 2) very accurate. During last year's college football season I used the same spreadsheet and found it to be frighteningly correct. It takes a few games to converge, but that's life.

Edit : Anyone (let's face it, just Eeegah) who wants to do ELO ratings can, and we'll find a way to work them in, but the basis for this is going to be the ranking system.