View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Contact them today!

However, I wanted you to admit that the papers are talking AS much about an intolerant minority

That is the first thing I did in my post.

I don't see how you can have a problem with the Rep's changing the rules and NOT have a problem with the Dem's using filibuster on Judicial Nominations

Because I recognize that the filibuster is a break against a runaway majority. It is not important whether in this case the majority is in the right or the wrong. I also recognize that we are moving towards a system where the executive has more power than the other branches and that this is dangerous. Take the nominiations being sent up for renomination -- the senate rejected the nominees following the rules in place, the president insists on further polarization of the body politic by resubmitting the nominations, and then gets his sycophancts to change the rules to ensure passage.

The consititution does not address, as far as I know, what kind of majority the senate needs to exercise its role.

I do see that the role of the senate on nominations is less about advice and consent and more about pushing the President's appointments.