View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Parts list...how does this look?

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not going to be doing any gaming I think you could cut some dollars by getting a non-SLI mobo. As for a video card, if you're just using it for dual monitors just get a GeForce 6600 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the A8N-SLI mobo. I don't really know what to look for in a mobo other than making sure it has the right slots and cpu socket on it. I liked the fact that I can easily run 2 pci-express video cards with this board in case I decide to add a third display later on. I know that I can use a PCI video card, but I figured this would be better. I'm looking at the A8N-E right now, but it seems like there are a lot of chipset fan related problems (judging by the Newegg review). If I am understanding this correctly, there is no chipset fan on the A8N-SLI Premium. Is it worth ~$54 for the dual PCI-e support, lack of chipset fan (also quieter), and other features of this motherboard? What else should I consider?

Will I notice a difference between the GeForce 6600 and cheaper cards? I saw 2 GeForce 6600 video cards without fans. I think I'd prefer not to have a fan on the video card just to cut down on noise and to have one less thing that could go wrong. The two that I saw were the AOpen and XFX cards. Both are around $100.

Thanks for your help.