View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 04:08 AM

Default My thoughts

I basically agree with the analysis that Mike gave, so this will be short. Whenever I see someone open limp short handed with the high card up I feel like the player is whispering in my ear: "I don't know how to play shorthanded stud, take my money". Either they are risking getting no value by slowplaying, or they are failing to make an easy ante steal with a weak hand. His play is pretty consistent with the later, as Mike pointed out in his post.

I don't agree with what Jeffage said about betting 6th again if you get called and then checking the river. Since Mike is representing a strong hand with the 5th st. raise (like Ts up) the opponent calling on 5th should be scary since the chances of him having just 4s go down with the call (because he will fold just 4s a good amount of the time). So, you might be against 2 pair on 5th.

If he catches a paint on 6th it has a high probablity of having paired him and there is a good chance you will get check raised on 6th. If it doesn't pair him you are only slightly ahead so giving a free card is not bad, plus it might induce him to bluff the river unimproved.

Another possible hand he could have is 4 cards to a wheel with 4s, so if he catches any wheel card you could be behind (or way behind if he hit his str8), so again you should take the free card.

In conclusion, the only time I'd bet 6th is if the opponent catches a middle card because that it is unlikely to pair him.