Thread: Syriana
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Syriana

[ QUOTE ]
It's an intensely political movie, so I think discussion of it belongs here. And I've managed to get myself into a position where what I say goes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Be that as it may, there is a thread in OOT on the movie. Although my politics are in sync with the screenwriter's, I didn't like the movie very much. A lot of activity, but no storytelling. Clooney and Damon are competent actors, but not more than that; they are not interesting enough to sustain a movie for me. (I think that's why I didn't like either of the Bourne movies either, Damon is a boring actor.)

And the "plot" was impossible to follow. You have to keep reminding yourself who the characters are, if you understood who they were in the first place. An interesting movie, but not a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I saw it last night, and it was not a good film. Not a terrible film, but certainly not a good one. Excruciatingly boring, no likable characters at all, not enough exposition to connect the dots clearly enough to draw the viewer into giving a crap, other than in some intellectual fashion that they already give a crap about the topic of oil and the middle east and corruption or they wouldn't be in the theater. Large parts of the film seemed to add depth to characters . . . along the wrong dimensions (dead kid, drunken father, prom discussion, etc). The subplot with the Pakistani youth seemed spliced in from a completely different (and far better) film. We yamned the whole way through and couldn't believe the film was as short as our watches indicated. If I'd had to sit through another 45 minutes, I'd have been yearning to have my fingernails torn out.