View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 03:45 PM

Default thoughts

Yes, Scuba, deep stacks would make this kind of play much more palatable.

Villian overbets the pot on the flop in position on a raggedy board. I'm always curious what they have in these cases, but don't often get a chance to find out. My theory is that it's air a lot more than I think. As per my mission to explore things from the blind, I called. I'm not thrilled about calling with the BB left to act, but I did it anyways. He folded. Good. On to the turn.

Turn bricks again. I think leading this turn is a good play with a predictable villian. Most people aren't calling or raising a bet with air at this point. This is likely a preferable line compared to the one I choose, and I should have done so.

However, I checked, prepared to fold if needed. If our villian was bluffing the flop, there's a decent chance he checks behind on the turn and gives up unimproved. Sometimes he'll fire another barrel, and often he'll bet for value. The 2/3 pot bet was a tough one. Any more, I'm folding. Much less, I'm calling. 2/3 is sketchy. I probably should have folded the turn. But sticking with my read that those flop bets are often nada and the likelihood that the turn didn't help him, I called.

His river bet was again on the weak side, and I only have to be good here 1 in 4 times to show a profit on the call. After donking it up the previous streets, the pot was big enough to go for it one more time on the river.