View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: how long to slowplay monster hi/no low draw?

[ QUOTE ]
Im not a big fan of checking the flop, even though you have quads. Yes, you do have the high wrapped up 99% of the time, but I dont like checking and keeping A2/A3 combos in there. Its not that hard for them to runner-runner you, and take away 1/2 of what is yours. With 7 players in the pot, I dont think you should be too worried about scaring everyone away. Im assuimg these players are rather loose, and not weak-tight. If I had something like A2JJ, then fine, but even with that ... Id still fire a bet on the flop if I think i would get called. Then again, Im usually quite LAG.

In summary, I dont like slowplaying made high hands. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Emptyshell was telling me that a runner runner low gets there about a quarter of the time. I was surprised it's that high at the time, and this thread jogged my memory to check the numbers for myself. Assuming you don't hold any low cards (except maybe the one that would just pair the board anyway, as in this case):

(7*4/45)*(6*4/44) = 34%,

so a possible low will get there a full third of the time! (Surprised me, maybe others were aware.) I think this is reason enough to lead at the pot frequently, as well as the fact that it might look like a steal attempt to someone holding a "reasonable" chasing hand, like nut flush. Of course, leading at the pot will work even better if you are a more active, LAGish player.