View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Re: I\'m not sure what this means

Just a notion...

I also think ROI is a good measure, but there may be a better one: Hourly Rate. If you don't sneak into the money often, you are probably increasing your hourly rate considerably, since your results will tend towards the two extremes: Much bigger payday for slightly longer hours or no payday for fewer hours.

I have been trying on some style changes lately, and I am not sure where I will end up, but I definitely think it is better to gamble more in the middle stages with a shorter stack than to try to eke into the money. It just isn't worth it to play for a tiny return.

The main stats I consider are (surprise) an ROI equivalent, number of final tables, and how often I finish in the top three when I make the final table. I think the last is incredibly important, since final table play has such a huge impact on how much you make.

As for missing opportunities by not cashing, try this: calculate your cash % and average cash amount (in terms of entry cost). Make some assumptions about how changing your playing style will impact these two values and see what the numbers say. If they say change your style, try it a while and see if reality mirrors your model. My very strong suspicion is that you are probably way ahead with the way you are playing.

Another posible area to look at:
Just how much is a "playable" amount of chips. (I think 3XBB is playable, but that is because I have rallied several times from very short stacks. Last night for instance I was 26th out of 26 with 3 or 4BB and wound up finishing 2nd due to getting greedy and slow playing when I was ahead in chips HU, but I digress...)

If you find you are selling yourself short on what you can successfully play with, you may be gambling a little too much too soon. Overall though, it sounds like your style is working well for you.