View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: A Smart Christian

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that sounded kind of funny. This is from the article. Looks like Somebody's off.

"Dr. "Fritz" Schaefer is the Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and the director of the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry at the University of Georgia. He has been nominated for the Nobel Prize and was recently cited as the third most quoted chemist in the world. "The significance and joy in my science comes in the occasional moments of discovering something new and saying to myself, 'So that's how God did it!' My goal is to understand a little corner of God's plan." --U.S. News & World Report, Dec. 23, 1991. "
PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to comment on it because it's not directly relevant to the quality of his other argument, but when I 1st went to the site and saw the Nobel reference was not something he claimed directly but set inside a quoted article it was a very bad sign. Rather than just having it mentioned in a lead in with other 'credentials' doing it by external quote allows a person deniability. If challenged you can always respond, "Well, 'I' didn't say I was nominated" Dr Schaefer would know both that you aren't nominated and that's it's a meaningless psuedo-designation because of how the process is done. But it's only negative in the sense of not being 'upfront', and an argument in a different area needs to be evaluated on it's own merits.