View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Through the eyes of Villain - misplayed on every street?

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand thinking you're ahead UNTIL HE RAISED YOU. Removing a set/overpair from his hand range is overplaying your hand (even if your club draw is 100% live, you don't have the equity with just that to 3-bet, with or without the 3rd player still in).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is prior knowledge of his holding an influence here? I'm not eliminating those holdings but they are largely inconsistent with the action.

I hold a big pair that's been raised preflop and villain calls 2 bets. Generally, a bigger pair will try to isolate here. Smaller PPs may call to try to flop their set. Big Aces will often come along (remember this guy's numbers). New Information: table is very loose. 50%-60% to the flop and averages about 10-12BB pots.

On a semi-coordinated flop to which I have an overpair, I bet and practically everyone comes along. Again, villain does not raise to protect his hand so it's hard to put him on a made hand. 2-bets on the flop might provide correct odds for some draws to follow so this can be forgiven, but really no indication of a powerhouse. On the other, hand he's obviously got a piece of the flop and feels he's drawing. If he's slowplaying a set or a bigger pair against a huge field, he's playing a very dangerous game. He also has no real idea if he's ahead or behind me but this is as favorable a flop as he can hope for.

On the turn, the flush draw completes as well as a garbage straight draw. I have an overpair to the board and a redraw to the 6th best hand if I'm behind. I bet and then he wakes up but doesn't cap my 3-bet. I think there are a number of marginal hands that will raise me and I have trouble seeing that a 3-bet is a difficult play to make here. This smells really strange and more like a semi-bluff against a scare card than a big hand. What hand does he put me on? Did he make the flush and he's trying to trap the calling station for 1 more bet or did he make a vulnerable hand and he's afraid he's beat?

Between the turn and the river, I wasn't sure if I wanted the 4-flush to come or not and *this* is where I think you're right. I've no idea if I'm ahead or behind. Consequently, neither does he. My first instinct was to check to the *obviously* bigger flush and perhaps that was correct. I don't know. Can I check through the 5th-nut hand?

The J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the river eliminated a lot of hands I was afraid of. Suited broadway just got a lot more narrow knowing where the JT are and most of the other combinations find a raise earlier. Offsuit broadway has no business still being around. Larger pairs should have protected their hand on the flop. In my mind that left A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9o, a larger PP which half the time is missing the club, or a set that I just outdrew.

I'm not saying you're wrong. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have posted. I had my reasons for this line and I'm looking for something more than anecdotal arguments to find the correct line.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to get headsup against villain and if successful, I think 3-betting the river might be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good idea (getting HU) follwed by a bad idea (3-betting the 4th flush on a four-flush board against an aggro opponent and a calling station still to act behind you).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood. In the case of getting him headsup on the river, I was advocating the 3-bet; thus the calling station is gone.