View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Flopped straight from SB...how do you proceed.

Well, it really depends on the table image you have and other players (obviously). I almost never check because I don't want a check around and I'd rather check-raise the turn. This is one of the few hands I will often overbet with about 1.5 - 2x the pot (if I don't make a pot-sized-bet). To most people they see this as a weakness. Ax will almost certainly least call, thinking something is up. I've found if I overbet, I get raised frequently or called with 2nd pair (I play mostly at 25nl on PP). From here it really depends on what your opponent does. If I get raised I'll either call the raise, then check raise big any non flush completing turn. Or I won't care about disguising my hand and I'll make a large reraise being happy to take down the pot immediately. I do the large reraise more often if I get min raised (which is frequently a flush draw). A large raise on the flop is usually a made hand, so its much less dangerous to let them see turn and if you check to them on the turn they'll almost always bet (making for a great check raise to take down a large pot).

Also, people with flush draws in these lower levels like calling on the flop, pretty much no matter how big you bet. I think you really want to make them pay because if they hit and don't bet a huge amount you almost have to pay them off. Also, if you bet the pot and somebody else calls, the player with a flush draw after the 1st call DOES have odds. Implied odds that is, because it will be hard for you to throw away your hand, so 3 : 1 is plenty because if they hit their flush on turn they can expect to get at least another $1 out of you and probably more.