View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Just Starting Out - Any Advice?

Your background will certainly serve you well. Generally, the bankroll required is between 300-400 big bets (assuming your a winning player). However, as you are new, I would suggest staying in low limits until you get to grips with some poker concepts. However, with your background, I'm sure you'll pick it up sooner than most.

As the above poster said, find one game to focus your attention on for now, as trying to learn too many games at once will not only be confusing, but is potentially harmful as you may start confusing concepts. I recommend starting off with either "limit" or "no limit" hold'em, as these are the games most frequently played today.

The books you have read so far should certainly have you heading in the right directon, although, I would suggest you leave HPFAP until you start moving up in limits. Read Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller, then re-read SSHE (assuming you are going to play limit poker). Also, instead of trying to rush to play higher limits, I would continue with BJ for now while your learning poker, and when you feel you have a firm grasp on poker, you can then make a full transition without starting off in "deep water".

you may find this link helpful that I got from the beginners forum:

http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Beg...26_Software.3F

P.s if you access the link, you will have to scroll to the top of the page for the full table of contents.

PJS