View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Are you looking for 5/10 Limit Holdem in Vegas?

[ QUOTE ]
Again, let me reiterate that the 5/10 game will die a horrible death

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that this is the conventional wisdom, and conventional wisdom is usually right. I've also read about the chip structure study done in LA, which backs up what all the 5/10 naysayers are claiming. Nevertheless, if 1/2 chip structures are so horrible, how come Foxwoods has fantastic 5/10 kill games. The number of games are plentiful, and the action is virtually identical to Foxwoods' 4/8 games which uses $2 chips. If one were to buy into the chip structure theory, you'd probably assume that 4/8 has a lot more action, but that's just not the case.

While I don't discount the impact of chip structures entirely, I suspect it is a far less important factor than most feel, as evidenced by the games at Foxwoods.

Additionally, I believe internet poker has created a demand for 5/10. Many people are used to playing 5/10 on their computers, but have never played in (or even seen) a 4/8, 6/12, or 8/16 game being spread online. These players specifically want to play 5/10 because that is the limit they are comfortable playing online. Back when chip structure theory was created, there was no such demand. Now that there is, the Aladdin should be able to get a few more asses in the seats, especially since they have no competition at that limit.