View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Serious tax problem.. Need advice.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Flee to Canada. Is it at all possible to get out of this by moving to Canada? How do tax laws work for internet poker? Do you pay taxes where you live, or where you are a citizen?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this going to help you? You just can't run away and not pay your taxes. This is pretty serious. Your best bet is to get yourself an attorney and work out some deal with the IRS.

FWIW, I'm canadian and I just finished filing my 04 taxes. I paid taxes on my poker winnings, stocks profit as well as my regular job. When I finally finished I felt like a daggar had just stabbed my heart. I've paid more in taxes some people make in a year. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

The tax laws regarding internet gambling is still sketchy here in canada. I decided to pay it all because I'm trying to avoid a potential problem like the one you described. Also because I've made so much I want to be able to sleep at night. My potential earnings in poker is a lot higher than what it is now and I don't want to get myself in any situation which will take me away from this , ie going to jail. This would hurt me and my family much more than the amount of taxes that I'm paying.
Moral of the story, pay your taxes!! You can't hide from the government. Unless of course you play B&M poker in canada and hide your money under a mattress.