View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: 30 Omaha/8 Starting Hands

I'm a N00B to the game as well, still trying to figure out some really simple things. Something that keeps eluding me is when to bet the nut low only hand, as often I just check and hope not to put my money in getting 1/4.

Did you start playing the 5/10? It seems like a high limit to learn the game.

A234 is my favorite hand in Omaha8. I've played AA23 once and folded when I missed the flop. Other than that, playing something like A267 or A278 has shown a great profit. I'm not a fan of double paired hands like AA66 but if the game was passive it's worth limping in and trying to hit a set or spade flush draw.

Your play doesn't seem overly tight at all.The waiting in the game can be slow and painful and anyone dying to get into a pot won't find the cards they need to justify it. Even if you only play hands with an A2 or four broadway cards the tedium can be enormous. Add that to the fact that you see less hands per hour because an O8 hand will run longer than a HE hand and it's easy to get bored while playing and daze off or go make a pizza.

My friend was watching me play the other day and thought I was crazy for folding aces before the flop. I shrugged and said, "that's a junk hand." THe point being that you're never pressing a big edge before the flop, you're pressing the edge after the flop. You can't have a hand locked up in HE like you can in Omaha with the nut low, nut flush draw, nut straight, and top set (nut set? set of nuts? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

There's a thread about rasing preflop or prefloop (did anyone see this on last night's WSOP) in O8. It has a lot of good material and some posts by Buzz that are great. It also has some posts by Ribbo where he proves he is a troll and the reason why live O8 is full of cranky old men. Basically, there isn't a consenus about when to raise prefloop as everyone seems to have their own opinion.

As usual my posts turned out to be too long, sorry. I'd enjoy discussing the game more about just general play and feel of the game if you're interested.

"Here comes the floop"

Tao