View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Reasonable spot to bluff?

OK, here's my 2p's worth. Sahaguje recommends raising before the flop. I think you can wait for a better hand - a big pair or better connected cards would do.

But: if you had raised preflop, then I think the semi-bluff bet on the flop becomes far better. As it is, this is Party; in an unraised pot, you will almost certainly get callers, and then where are you? There are six players (!) to the flop. For your bet to be worthwhile, there must be a percentage of time when ALL the players fold. That will happen, heh, less than 1% I'd guess on Party.

You will get one or more callers, and also face the prospect of a CR.

A second nut flush with an extra three outs from your gutshot (and 3 Kings if a caller has just TP no kicker) may not offer much value here.

Why not take the free card. If it's checked on the turn, you still don't have the value to bet.

Having reached the river with just the one caller, sometimes I might bet if I had strong enough a read on the player. You can represent the nine I think, as it would be "natural" to other players for your to bet second pair on the flop. But more often I'd wimp out.

Bottom 2 or middle pair are just the hands that Party players will call you down with. They will (nearly) always put you on a button bluff when you bet the flop and will call you in an instant on the river with next to nothing - but that next to nothing beats yours.

I think Pete was right, in that checking the turn meant you gave up representing rights. So betting the river now becomes more suspicious. Of course, you might get a player with TP to fold.

Overall, I think there are better situations to bluff. Think about blockers for example.

JMO.

Cheers.