View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: National Lampoon\'s Christmas Vacation

[ QUOTE ]
Give a few examples of 1's and 5's if you've got time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you meant 0's instead of 1's

First my thing about films - the key thing for any film for me, its key function above all others, is it needs to entertain. If it does that, it's a good film. I don't need meaning or subtext or be educational or have great direction/acting/script - it's just got to entertain. Those other things can elevate a film from good to great - obviously - but they can all be plainly absent, and the film can still be good. To me, therefore, Plan 9, Party Animal and a host of films I think a lot of people wouldn't have seen are good films in my book. There, I've got that off my chest...

0 - I honestly can't think of many I really loathe this much. I'm a film nut, I see good in almost all films (else I don't watch em in the first place, I suppose). Even Exorcist 2 (say) has some charm for me. I've not seen Battlefield Earth or Gigli though, so maybe I should force myself...

I do have a -1 though:

-1 = So bad you are willing to give up a month of your life to remove it's revolting aftertaste

There can be only one: "Highlander 2"

5 - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Singin in the Rain, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Once upon a time in the West, Lawrence of Arabia (BUT ONLY if you're in a properly calm, well-rested and relaxed frame of mind), Seven Samurai, Caddyshack, Life of Brian, Fellowship of the Ring (yah I know there'll be guffaws at this), Spartacus (STFU, okay!), Bride of Frankenstein, maybe Shawshank, and maybe, just maybe Ghost(!).... there's probably more, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment, and I change daily on this...

You can tell me I'm wrong, but if so you have some bollocks and put your 0's and 5's too...