View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Wireless Poker Playing: Does it Work Well?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does it really even matter? I mean, isn't it the difference between 54mbps and 11mbps or something like that? Even 11mbps is faster than your internet connection, so will there be a difference for surfing the net and playing poker? I always just assumed that the only time you'd notice a difference would be when transfering files between computers wirelessly. Then again, I haven't really given it a lot of thought. Comments welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes and no. If you use WiFi a fair amount you will notice the differnece between a strong signal and a weak signal.

Now keep in mind that you are not likely to get a optimal connection to the AP (wireless access point) unless you are in the same room with it. So which would you rather have, a weak 11b signal that is now running at less than a 1Mbps or a weak 11g single that is much fater than your Internet connection.

Also it is my experience that when you have a weak signal, you tend to drop packets and have a higher latency, neither of which is good for a online poker game. Can you say lag and not the type of player. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.