Thread: $50 PLO8 hand
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: $50 PLO8 hand

As has been pointed out how you play the preflop is variable. If you sometimes raise and sometimes call with this hand it's fine. I'd put it 75% raising in late position and 25% calling. I might not raise the pot as I think my hand is okay multi-way and not so great with limited number of callers. There's no counterfeit protection and no real opportunities for high except the A-2 flush draw. You've got a good hand, but not a great hand. You might have preflop equity but when you raise you not only have to think about people calling your raise but if you're the favorite when you're re-raised. You're going to be folding this hand on the flop a lot.

Here if do raise and then you are re-raised preflop you are a dawg. Besides aces, you don't want to face a hand like A-2-3-K or even A-2-4-x.

The flop you just call. You're sandbagging. Sometimes this works. I think it worked here. You also get to see a safe card and if your low card comes, you're cooking with gas. If it comes high--well you know your str8 already is vulnerable to a higher str8, a flush, or a full house. So there's something to be said for waiting. The turn card might ruin everything and make you a dawg. The other option I like is to raise it a $1 or $2--and just build the pot. I'd want to see about everyone just call it and not someone raise and blow everyone out.

The turn comes favorable and you pull the trigger. You make it look easy.