View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Stack size theory (cash games)

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking is that the medium stacks are in trouble because they can be bullied out by a big stack, allowing both the big stack and the short stack to benefit from the dead money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see no reason the medium stacks or the short stacks would be bullied by the big stacks. Is it intimidating when someone has a lot of chips that can't be used against you? I don't find it frightening.

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to envisage many situation akin to this where the medium stack will have to fold, but the short stack has an easy all-in call because, well, he's a short stack. In this type of coup both the short stack and the big stack are benefitting from the dead money that the medium stack put in before he got chased out.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can reverse the positions of the medium stack and the large stack. This only shows that the short stack has an advantage. It doesn't show any advantage for the big stack.

Each player can imagine all larger stacks are actually equals. However, larger stacks have to pay attention to the extra chips against each other. The result is that the larger stacks do not play optimally to take the smaller stacks' chips, while the smaller stacks can play optimally to take the larger stacks' chips.