View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Should you respect annoying minumum PFR\'s

I don't think you guys should write off this play as defining a noob fish. It may well be something a fish does but there are lots of other players who like the move too.

Personally I hate it as I agree it doesn't give you any advantage but I've had lengthy discussions with a good winning player who uses it.

The theory is that if you min raise on KQ, AQ (poss AJ) then poorly kicked A's will come with you. This kinda stacks up with what you're saying as with better kicked A's you'll be raising him PF so he can get away. You don't come along hoping to get paid as the relatively small PF bet isn't forcing enough players out.

Then on the flop if he hits then he reckons to be ahead as if any poorer kicked A's also hit they may well figure to be ahead. Granted there's an inherent assumption that your opponents aren't too hot but he swears he regularly gets paid by worse A's.

The other line of thought is the medium pp as mentioned in an earlier post. Again there is logic behind this line as it does create a larger pot if you do hit.

For me I think it's a pretty passive approach - if your pp is worth playing for a raise then make a proper raise so you at least have the opportunity to win the flop when you miss.

But the point I want to make is that a fish is a fish anyway - there will be lots of clues as to his ability.
You're setting yourself up for a painfest if you class every min PFR player as a fish - cos sometimes they're not.

The advantage to you is that you can bracket their hand pretty easily if you know thats what they're doing. And make sure if they come out all guns blazing on that T72r flop that you have TT in the hole before you go along for the ride!!