View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Should you respect annoying minumum PFR\'s

I have been playing NLHE as my main game the past month or so now and by far I think the dumbest thing I see people doing over and over again is make a minimum PFR.

I really don't see what this accomplishes??? From my perspective all it does is give away the strength of your hand without driving anyone out of the hand. Anyone who was going to call the minimum bet is almost certainly still going to come into the pot for a minimum raise.

I would think that if you have a good hand worth raising you would want to raise enough to drive out marginal hands thus building a bigger pot with your good hand as well as cut down the # of opponents you are facing.

Am I thinking correctly here or is there some super genius strategy at work here that my dumb noob mind can't comprehend???

Assuming the majority of the people who make this move are idiots. What is the best way to exploit this mistake. I have not let this affect my starting hand selection. I still play suited connectors when facing this etc. If I am in position with a good hand that I don't normally raise with OOP (like A-J, A-Q) and someone is dumb enough to do this from the blinds I generally reraise to about 6 times the blinds to try to get some dead $$ in the pot and also 2 draw out any REAL strong hands into giving themselves away asap.

If i have a hand like suited connectors I just call and then bet into the raiser if I hit the flop strong ( 2pair or better) hoping for a reraise and then push my made hand into his over-card reraise.

Any suggestions on how to better deal with plays like this or am I playing them correctly as I described?