View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Baseball - whats the solution?

Josh,

The NFL system simply can't work for MLB. I mentioned some of the key reasons in my response to Dynasty.

I agree that on the surfact the NBA system seems fair. Soft cap, luxury tax and right for home teams to keep their stars.

The NBA has an advantage in that one really only needs to keep 2-3 premier players to form a perennial title contender, so its easier for NBA teams to maintain that dynasty. In MLB, keeping 2-3 stars simply won't do it because no one player can dominate to the extent that a Shaq or Jordan can.

So it may not work as well for MLB as it has for the NBA, but anything is better than the current system. Its a shame the union is so stubborn and won't accept a floor. What is going to happen now is the elimination of the middle class in MLB. The union, with its hard line stance on no upward limits has basically screwed the majority of its constituency to protect the ARods of the league. Which is too bad.

They also need to implement the international draft pronto. Its silly that the Yankees can simply go and buy the top international players. The knicks weren't able to go and buy Yao. The Yankees shouldn't be able to go buy Godzilla.