Thread: AQs and push
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: AQs and push

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The push was pointless. Anything that's going to call you're not winning against. Your stack was okay compared to the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be a good play, but it is not pointless. There is 700 in the pot and I have 5200. I don't mind taking that. I am slightly ahead with pot odds against JJ-22. Obviously if I am dominated I am in trouble, but no one has shown strength. I am representing AK or JJ-QQ, so it is hard for anyone to call without QQ or AK or better. Also right after the rebuy period, I might get a fishy loose call from a pp, but also from a hand I am ahead of.

There may be better ways to play AQs here, but I think the push is EV+. Being called by a pp is EV even and I might provoke some loose fish call with a hand I am ahead of or dominate.

If I pick up the pot 4 times as often as I am called by AK or QQ-AA and am called by a pp the rest of the time, I am ahead.

Probably played that way because just after rebuy period and the play was loose. I was afraid if I raised to 1200 of whatever I would get multiple callers or reraised and it would be hard to know what to do against a reraise, and also hard to tell from the action whether I was ahead on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a raise to t1200 accomplishes this same objective while lowering your risk of ruin. With this raise, you are commiting < 25% but > 20% of your stack, so you arent pot commited. This ill also help your read on such a player that pushes over the top.

If you dont feel that raise will work, I think Id raise more and prepare to get my stack in on most flops.