View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Curtains defends his blinds (with bonus comedy hand!)

I think that people on 2+2 suffer from a "worst case" mindset. What I mean is that it seems some of you believe that 100% of the time when we call this preflop our opponent will bet the flop. We also believe that a large % of the time when we hit the flop with top or 2nd pair, that our opponent will have us beat.

However as you see it dosen't always play out like this. Sometimes your opponent will just check twice for no reason and you don't need to actually make a hand. Yes I was a bit suspicious but the combined chance of me winning the pot immediately, and the flush draw possibility led me to make this bet. I felt that I was too shortstacked and needed the chips in the center.

Basically I am getting 3-1 pot odds in position with a decent hand. Im very shortstacked and it makes the hand very easy to play after the flop. For instance if the flop is Q74 and my opponent bets, all my chips go in the pot. Sometimes they will fold, sometimes they will even call with a worse hand and sometimes I will be beaten. In any case the pot odds Im getting preflop are too good IMO for me to fold to a min raise. I would have folded to a 125 raise however.

Also I think the flop check by my opponent is quite bad.