View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Link to World Cup Draw information

A decent introduction to today's World Cup draw in Leipzig, which will be televised on ESPN2 in the USA, I believe. Written by an English author, and has an interesting analysis of England's "dream group" and "group of death".

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...up&cc=5901

From the US point of view, I think the "Dream Group" would be Spain (the only seeded team we can play that's never won the World Cup...Mexico is also seeded but we can't play them in the first round since we're from the same federation), Switzerland (Poland is probably the weakest team in Pot Three, but we historically have not played them very well, especially at the last World Cup) and Togo (Angola has had a few somewhat decent international results, and had a tougher group to qualify out of in Africa than the Togolese...neither one exactly inspire fear though). The US "Group of Death", IMHO? Brazil, Australia (one of the world's most underrated teams and my darkhorse choice to reach the quarterfinals) and Holland (one of the strongest non-seeded teams in WC history). Anyway you slice it, it's gonna be interesting.

--Scott