Thread: Deepish KQ Hand
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Deepish KQ Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Party 5+R. I was moved to this table recently, but played with Villain for a little while during the rebuy period. He seemed kind of unwilling to gamble then, would play passively with AK/AQ type hands until he was made. I wasn't really gambling it up, but I was raising big with a variety of hands, including most broadway. Any time I played strong after the flop, I showed down a big one. But that was during the rebuy period, haven't played with him since.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t6705)
MP2 (t13815)
MP3 (t11190)
CO (t4135)
Button (t5825)
SB (t6895)
BB (t1405)
Hero (t10135)
UTG+1 (t6295)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t400, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t325, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1350) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t900</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t1800</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t900.

Turn: (t4950) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: (t4950) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t4505 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t9455

Regarding the small pre-flop raise: my objective was to avoid building a big pot out of position, and hopefully get it heads up or take down a multi-way pot if I make top pair. The river puts me behind one of the few hands I thought I might be ahead of on the flop: QJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, why are you raising KQ? Why are you raising KQ UTG? I don't really like that, unless the table has folded to you a lot, even still I'm deathly afraid of KQ, at any point of a tourney except very late stages. I just don't think this is neccessary, ESPECIALLY in that position. Gah.

I would probably have limped hoping for a str8 draw situation.

I hate his min raise on the flop. To me, these kinds of raises (always, any min raise like that) indicate a monster. A two pair at worst and very often a set. He's trying to maximize how much you pay him off, especially at the lower buy in tournaments. He's basically saying "please keep calling me, I don't care".

This is also why I hate KQ, it's so vulnerable in these situations.

His turn check is suspicious. But to me it sounds like he got a little FPS. This goes right in line with his river push. He's thinking "I don't want my customer folding, so I'll check here and make him think he can win, then I'm gonna push and he's gonna get pissed and call".

This is exactly why I hate KQ. You can't be comfortable with it, even if you make TPGK. Would you ever make this fold with KA (if the K had come on the flop instead of a Q)? I wouldn't.

I'm sorry if I come off as talking down to you. I just really see these kinds of mistakes as really below you man.