Thread: Aeonflux
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Aeonflux

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is it really THAT hard to write a decent action movie script?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree.

Seriously, most of the action movies make horrible mistakes. Resident evil for instance. They go in with a million and one high tech guns that are useless. Then at the end they are killing beasts with revolvers? It's like they are intentionally messing things up.

Stick to what made the comic book or the video game great and don't concentrate on holleywood effects and big bangs.

It's not that hard to make a decent movie with a decent plot especially when somebody already did almost all of the work for you.

Hollywood = stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Wacki, but your avatar is indeed descriptive of you in regards to this topic. You really have no clue what you're talking about.

If you think it's easy, go to Hollywood and let them all know your brilliant plan - I'm sure they'll throw money at you and hail you as the second coming of Orson Wells.

It's incredibly difficult to write a very good genre screenplay. There are an inordinate number of pitfalls awaiting one who attempts to do so:

Most of the conventions of the genre are well know to the point of cliche; stick too closely to them and you're being derivative, break the rules and you're no longer writing the genre you're being paid to. It's a very, very fine line.

The audience these days is more sophisticated, aware and involved in the movie-making process than ever before. You can't slip a sub-par plot twist or charactization past them (for the most part).

Every story has been told. Think back when Die Hard came out and the next fifteen years of action movies were, "Die Hard on a bus," or "Die Hard on a boat." There really is nothing new in the genre to be told - only in HOW a story is told. And that takes incredible skills by everyone working on the film, not just the writer.

A good film is ridiculously hard to make. A bad film is ridiculously hard to make. When you do happen to run across a good one, count yourself lucky, because all that means is the stars were aligned for this particular project.

Again, if you think it's not difficult, I challenge you to write a great action script. I have an agent and a manager and I'd love to find a project from an unknown to give to them.

So...put your money where you mouth is, and then maybe you'll be able to not so resemble your avatar.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should totally take u up on this...my big goal has always been to write/direct movies. I have a semi decent idea for an action movie, but I do agree, its very hard to write something with a "fresh" spin.

I also just saw South park movie again, and rent...and you just gave me a crazy idea. An 80s action movie musical. Ive already thought up half the movie and it would be insane. It will probably never get past whats inside my head, but it would be a kick to see osmething like that.