Thread: Math Question
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Erostratus, mine was probably worse than yours...

The odds of a particular hand after you know what your opponent has is irrelevant. Is a big stack with QQ incorrect to call your all-in button raise with 5xBB when you have KK?

Some of the folks in this thread are too caught up in the final results of what happened and not looking at the situation for what it is. All in with K7o is nuts...unless you look at the situation. With a short stack that still has some power, two random blinds in front of me, I'm likely to take my shot here as well. Especially if I know the blinds to be tight. The big stack in the BB might give me pause...but you are going to have him in front of you nearly every time.

As for the hand in question...I'm not calling 1/4 of my stack with JT. If you had 500 or less, I'm probably going to call with that hand. I will agree with MikeGuz to a point, but with this catch...if I can attempt a knockout with a tiny percentage of my stack AND reasonable pot odds (Example: I'm in the BB of 200 with 27o and someone with 300 raises all in), I'm calling every time. As the percentage of my stack gets larger, and the chances that my hand is not a favorite go up, I fold.

As for the call with JT...here's the thought process, I think. Desperate short stack goes all-in on the button, I have a hand (was it suited?) that has a number of ways to improve, and if I'm up against anything other than an overpair or a bigger J or T, I have a fair chance to knock you out, add to my stack, and waltz to a money finish. If I lose, I still have a good stack with 3000 chips, and still have a decent chance to win and a very good chance to get in the money.

Not to say this is correct thinking, but I don't think this is the worst call I've ever seen...not by a longshot.

Play well,

CCC