View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Richard Pryor is dead

Live in Concert blew my mind. Pryor did that down home personal pain, real lived experience comedy nobody else had the balls to do. I saw that in the theater when it first came out and I was so blown away I just sat through until the next seating. No way I was going to leave the theater without seeing it again. It was practically some kind of weird religious comedy experience. A comedy revelation or something.

So many people took their cues from him, but I've never seen anyone get you so much on his side or sound like he's legitimately sharing so much of honest real life with you, no matter how degrading, and then somehow making it miraculously funny.

I'll always remember him doing his bit where he's crying and groveling on the ground during his heart attack as his heart punishes him for talking to God behind its back, and also for eating all that pork. And for magically getting me on his side after giving his take on why a guy would take a magnum to his own car when his wife was trying to leave the house. I was willing to forgive this guy anything.